key fob programming

I'm sure this quetion has been asked before so a link will suffice

I'm a new BMW owner and I need a spare key fob. Looking online it appears you can program a new key fob by holding it against a marking on the steering column but I don't see this mark on my 2011 118i sport. Is the mark only on certain models, if so is there a way to program a key fob without paying a dealer silly money for a new one?

Hi Dave 

Welcome to the Forum

Try this

First, put your BMW key in the ignition, rapidly turning it to position 1. Quickly do this 5 times in a row. Then, take your key out of the ignition. Press the BMW logo on your BMW key fob 3 times while holding down the unlock button. Let go of the unlock button after the third time you’ve pressed the BMW Logo

Good Luck

Dave

3 hours ago, Greydog said:

Hi Dave 

Welcome to the Forum

Try this

First, put your BMW key in the ignition, rapidly turning it to position 1. Quickly do this 5 times in a row. Then, take your key out of the ignition. Press the BMW logo on your BMW key fob 3 times while holding down the unlock button. Let go of the unlock button after the third time you’ve pressed the BMW Logo

Good Luck

Dave

That sounds like a witch's chant Dave :smile1:. I assume we are talking about the new key ,yes?

New Key Programming Correct or re-programming a Key that has had a new battery fitted To buy a new key go to your BMW Dealer they will need the Vin and for some sight of the Registration in your name

Beware of cheap keys online 

Dave

On 6/14/2024 at 6:31 AM, Greydog said:

New Key Programming Correct or re-programming a Key that has had a new battery fitted To buy a new key go to your BMW Dealer they will need the Vin and for some sight of the Registration in your name

Beware of cheap keys online 

Dave

The new key is blank so I assume it needs cutting first

Hmmm BMW would not supply a blank key so I am guessing this is an after market Key.

Have you been able to pair the Fob with your car? Before spending money on key cutting try to pair the Fob

Dave

Thanks for your help and patience Greydog, but I am confused with talk of turning the key to position 1.

I just put the fob into the slot in the dash, push a second time to activate ignition and then press the start/stop button. There is no turning a key like in a conventional car.

Sorry if I'm being thick

Morning Dave

Your car is the same as all BMW's since iDrive was introduced in 2006/2007 the only change since then is the key only needs to be in the car not in a slot

You must be sitting in the car and windows closed

Put the fob into the slot (the radio will work but no ignition) Position 1, remove and replace 5 times remove fob hold down the unlock button while pressing the BMW logo 3 times then release the unlock button. Then push the Fob into the slot to turn on the ignition, if the Ignition comes on and the car starts your Fob should be programmed

Obviously if the Fob won't program something is wrong. Back to my question is it a Genuine BMW KEY if it is your dealer will program it if you can't manage. If it isn't a BMW key then contact the supplier and ask them How to program it. But if it isnt a Genuine key be ready to ask for a refund

As I said before a BMW Dealer will need Vin number and proof of ownership then order a key from the Factory. The key will arrive with the blade cut and Fob ready for programming which the Dealer will be happy to do

Dave

Thanks for the clarification Dave. The fob, c/w blank key, was purchased from eBay and seller stated it had been de-programmed ready for re-programming.

I was willing to take a gamble considering the price I paid and the price a dealer would charge, plus if it won't re-programme I will ask the seller for a refund

Each Key should have a chip that once programmed will read a rolling code provided by the car. Once used  I didn't think they could be used on another car

But as the old saying goes "we learn something new everyday" Fingers crossed it works

Dave

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links