Looking at a 2006 318ci E46 Coupe - Should I?

CaseyJones77

Hi all,

I had a quick check through the E46 Buying Guide pinned post and that'll be really helpful if I decide to go and look at the car I'm currently looking at.

It's a 2006 (06-reg) Coupe, 318ci with 55,000 miles - currently listed for £3,795 and I think that's a fairly decent price given the mileage... of course it still feels high because used car prices are still a bit silly but, I'd be relatively happy with it.

I previously owned a 2009 1 Series Coupe (E82), and around 100,000 miles the timing chain started to rattle and I panicked and got rid asap! 

I just wanted to know really if the E46 Coupe would possibly suffer with the same kind of timing chain issue? Or are they generally ok?

Any advice is really welcomed! I've asked for the car reg from the trader, as they've done the annoying thing of covering up the reg plates in the listing, so I can get a better look at the history once they confirm that.

EDIT - got the reg, MOT is through to May 2025, and it has a few advisories. Both sides front suspension bushes and ball joints... not sure if that is a common issue and cheap/easy to fix?

Thanks, Rob

Edited by CaseyJones77
Added information

Hi Rob

Welcome to the Forum

The 1 series you owned was it a diesel? I would at a guess it was a 118d or 120d,  extended service intervals really caught many N47 engined BMW owners and BMW out. The engines that were getting oil changes seemed to fair much better 

The engine in the E46 is different N46 at the low-ish mileage 55k oil and filters would always be my priority to give the engine a better chance at a long life

Lots of things effect ball joints and rubber bushes. Just helped a neighbour with a suspension rebuild he got a complete kit for £120 Lower wishbones track control arms and Anti roll bar links took around 3 hours with tea and biscuit breaks. Check the internet or your local motor factors for costs then use it as a negotiating point 

Good Luck with the purchase

Dave

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Greydog said:

Hi Rob

Welcome to the Forum

The 1 series you owned was it a diesel? I would at a guess it was a 118d or 120d,  extended service intervals really caught many N47 engined BMW owners and BMW out. The engines that were getting oil changes seemed to fair much better 

The engine in the E46 is different N46 at the low-ish mileage 55k oil and filters would always be my priority to give the engine a better chance at a long life

Lots of things effect ball joints and rubber bushes. Just helped a neighbour with a suspension rebuild he got a complete kit for £120 Lower wishbones track control arms and Anti roll bar links took around 3 hours with tea and biscuit breaks. Check the internet or your local motor factors for costs then use it as a negotiating point 

Good Luck with the purchase

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the response, really helpful!

Yes the E82 was a 120D - I always got it regularly serviced by the local BMW Independent garage but still had the timing chain issue unfortunately, and I quickly sold it rather than spending the £1800+ they quoted to get things all replaced and fixed!

I'll bear it in mind about oil and filters - it's not long through the recent MOT but I'd likely take it to the Independent garage near me for them to give it a once over if I do buy it.

Glad to hear the ball joints and bushes aren't too much of a worry and shouldn't cost too much - it looks like the rear coil springs were just replaced on it so that's something I hopefully wouldn't have to worry about either, as I've read they can be a bit of a weak point.

I'll go see it and see if it looks as good in person as it does online!

Thanks, Rob

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links