Bonnet release catch e53

Afternoon all.! 
silly question, but I have snapped the mounting plate for the bonnet release catch. 
looking online and realoem shows a part but it’s fitted on the lhd model, which would surely work back to front on the Uk spec RHD model? 

I can’t find another rhd part code or replacement part. 

am I missing something, or do both parts fit ? 

Hi Stu

Which bit have you broken 🤪 clumsy boy 🤣

Is it the manual bonnet release with the lever that comes forward through the grill or one of the bowden cable catches?

I believe the manual release is the same (left or right) the Bowden Cable releases are the same part or could it be the Bowden cable arm in the footwell ?

Dave

Hi Dave… basically when the expansion tank blew last week, I pulled the lever in the footwell a little too well! 😂…. What has broken is the cable end stop on the mounting plate in the footwell… the white plastic thing. I will have to replace the inner and outer cable too, but that’s an easy bit. 
the websites all show the part with the lever on the right of it, pulling the cable clockwise to open. The Uk version needs to go anticlockwise as it’s on the right hand side. 
hopefully it makes sense now.

This bit! …. Basically, this bolts to the footwell and the lever attaches to the cam. Pulling the lever (cam will go clockwise if it’s on the left) will pull the cable and release the bonnet. 
if I mount it on the right hand footwell, I would have to push the lever in, not pull it… or there must be a mirror image part for Uk spec? 

IMG_8307.jpeg

Morning Stu

First is the mechanism actually broken or just the cable, I have seen quite a few and it normally its the cable not the mechanism. You should be ok changing just the cable I would think

It seems looking at ISTA that the part is the same the lever and trim are different (opposite hand) 

All you have to do is stand on your head in the footwell to check 😂 If your still unsure ask someone like Quarry if they have the parts (I am sure they will) or even a BMW Dealer if your local one is friendly

Dave

Hi Dave, thanks as always! 
its definitely the unit that has failed. I broke the cable stop part off trying to frantically open the bonnet.. I’ll also replace the cable as that has seen better days. 
I’ll give quarry a try, no seller online seems to understand left and right? It can’t be the same part as it must fit mirror image. 

I don’t get on with my local dealership after they found my car had been written off and dodgy repaired and told me it was worthless…. They sold me it a month before (that’s another story) and gave it a 100,000 point check or something! 

anyways… I’ll be sorting it myself….. now to open the bonnet again!! 

Morning Stu

Mole grips on the cable end has always worked for me 

Just asked an ex BMW Tech he says same part just the lever and mount are handed

Dave

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Update! 

turns out i was not being silly!

the actual Uk part number is 51238402614. 
it is specific to RHD cars and not on the parts lists. ( bmw have it as 615 showing the LHD version, which is all people seem to stock. )

picking one up from my next local dealership this week for £25! 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

• Thanks 1

… and there we have it! 
£25 from the main dealership. RHD bonnet release mechanism. 
not listed on realoem or any data sheets according to the parts guy…. He found it by ‘googling and guessing’! lol

….also answers my other question about running a cable from the engine bay to the dash! #winner! 

IMG_8999.jpeg

IMG_9001.jpeg

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links