location of service indicator battery

Morning Christopher 

Welcome to the Forum

As far as I am aware the E34 range did not have any separate back up batteries just the main car battery.

Dave

• Thanks 1

Once again many thanks for your previous responseThe VIN of the car is BAHC 220 10BK 9587. My auto electrician friend says he is sure there is a service indicator battery because it states it in HAYNES service and repair manual ( 5 series 1981 to 1991 (up to J registration ) petrol Ref: ISBN 1 85960 236 3 and has all the symptoms of a flat battery. such as erratic Rev Counter, petrol gauge and speedo. It states this in the manual Page 12.4 Body Electrical Systems and the batteries have approx 6 year life. He wonders if there has been some sort of modification? The car reg. is G45 TOD

Hi Christopher

I just tried to trace your Vin number with no luck I entered (or tried to) it into www.realoem.com which if you are not aware is a complete BMW Parts list the same as is used by BMW Dealers so would show all parts and part numbers

I have carried out a quick manual search (if the Vin is accepted it automatically calls that model up) I searched E28 and E34 models and could find no refference Does the Haynes manual not give a clue ?

BMW UK may be able to help they have a Classic Division

Sorry 

Dave

Well as they say "Every day is a School Day" apparently you do have additional NiCad batteries I just spoke with an old friend in the US (he was a neighbour for years works for BMW now very senior in the US)

The SI Board is part of the instrument cluster so you have to remove the cluster then remove the SI board which has 2 NiCad battery's soldered to it. He says that BMW never try and change them as they break down and leak causing a real mess his advice is get a new SI board it will be quicker and cleaner and is what BMW workshops do

However there are a couple of Companies in the UK ECU Testing (Derby I think) and Cartronix (Chertsey) it may be worth giving them a contact to see if they can help 

Good Luck

Dave

On 8/31/2024 at 3:23 PM, Greydog said:

Well as they say "Every day is a School Day" apparently you do have additional NiCad batteries I just spoke with an old friend in the US (he was a neighbour for years works for BMW now very senior in the US)

The SI Board is part of the instrument cluster so you have to remove the cluster then remove the SI board which has 2 NiCad battery's soldered to it. He says that BMW never try and change them as they break down and leak causing a real mess his advice is get a new SI board it will be quicker and cleaner and is what BMW workshops do

However there are a couple of Companies in the UK ECU Testing (Derby I think) and Cartronix (Chertsey) it may be worth giving them a contact to see if they can help 

Good Luck

Dave

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links