BMW X5 XDRIVE40E HYBRID: Drivetrain

My BMW X5 XDRIVE40E HYBRID SPORT 2016 Model developed Drivetrain issue took it to BMW Dealership garage. They had my car for a good 2 weeks : Issues

1. Injector 3, changed it .

2. Spark plugs, changed them.

3. Coil.

4. Finally,  I was told, they suspect they is an internal engine damage. After paying over £2000.00 I was told my car needs a new engine. 

5. Bought another engine complete with a gearbox  fitted.  2 miles the road DRIVETRAIN  message came again .

6. Seeing a lot of BMW owners posting the same issue, this is not our problem but BMW poor engineering. We need to make a collective challenge to BMW direct. 

Morning Zeet

Wek

Welcome to the Forum

I take it that a full Diagnostic scan was carried out? Do you have a copy if not ask for it. I would want to know how they came to the decision what evidence was it based on? If internal damage was suspected the internals can be inspected using an Endoscope to confirm just what is going on it can even store pictures

The reason is your Dealer seems to have concentrated on the petrol engine yet the car is a Hybrid, so the Battery pack, Charging, Motor and all the controls and sensors that allow it to work with the petrol engine are oart of the Drivetran

It doesn't end there, the Gearbox Transfer box and axles along with last but not least the tyres are all Drivetrain and effect other components 

As an enthusiastic Home Mechanic who has always maintained his own cars, I have the equipment and use it surley a Main Dealer should have it? I would expect them to have a Duty of Care to their customers to not only diagnose the issue but demonstrate the diagnosis

Dave

Hi Dave

Yes, they did a full diagnosis. I paid for it. I have a copy home. I will post it on this forum this evening after work. 

Thanks for your contributions. 

Spencer 

13 hours ago, Greydog said:

Morning Zeet

Wek

Welcome to the Forum

I take it that a full Diagnostic scan was carried out? Do you have a copy if not ask for it. I would want to know how they came to the decision what evidence was it based on? If internal damage was suspected the internals can be inspected using an Endoscope to confirm just what is going on it can even store pictures

The reason is your Dealer seems to have concentrated on the petrol engine yet the car is a Hybrid, so the Battery pack, Charging, Motor and all the controls and sensors that allow it to work with the petrol engine are oart of the Drivetran

It doesn't end there, the Gearbox Transfer box and axles along with last but not least the tyres are all Drivetrain and effect other components 

As an enthusiastic Home Mechanic who has always maintained his own cars, I have the equipment and use it surley a Main Dealer should have it? I would expect them to have a Duty of Care to their customers to not only diagnose the issue but demonstrate the diagnosis

Dave

20240902_214728.jpg

20240902_214702.jpg

20240902_214622.jpg

Just now, ZEET said:

Hi Dave

Yes, they did a full diagnosis. I paid for it. I have a copy home. I will post it on this forum this evening after work. 

Thanks for your contributions. 

Spencer 

20240902_214728.jpg

20240902_214702.jpg

20240902_214622.jpg

These were BMW investigations and repairs they did after all this I was told it looks like the engine is damaged internal. I need to get a new engine 

Morning Zeet

Those are invoices that itemise what they are billing and the cost of items changed. Your F15 is a complicated beast with any where between 65/70 up to 100 different Control units, many have to communicate with each other and control sensors for the smooth running of the car

The Drivetrain has specific control units, the ECU (Engine Control Unit) TCM (Transmission Contol Module)  TCM (Transfer Case Module) DCM (Differential Control Module) Each of these modules has a number of sensors that it controls and all communicate with each other and other units in the car. As your car had a Drivetrain Issue  I would expect to see a Diagnostic report that showed ECU and a message either No Faults Found or a list of Fault codes and explanations followed by the same for each module (In the screen shot modules in Green are OK Yellow there is an issue. Each Module can be interrogated to identify faults. This would show only the elactronic controls are OK or Not and which sensor or component may need changing.

A Diagnostic Scan will not show Mechanical Faults these require a whole different series of tests I would be asking what tests were carried out and evidence of results that led to the diagnosis of a new engine required

You have paid a lot of money I would expect to be able to see what they have done 

I hope this helps and doesn't confuse

Dave

maxresdefault.jpg

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links