A paddling pool in the rear of my 08 reg 635d Convertible !!

ARoosterinaRoadster

Hi to you all out there.  The other day while about to vacuum out the car I discovered a considerable amount of water in the rear behind the driver's seat.

After an hour of attempting to clear it using a turkey baster and a giant car sponge, I managed to clear most of the water.

My local BMW Dealership printed me off a diagram showing the 8 drainage point locations but the apparent amount of carpet etc that I have to shift for access is a little difficult for me !

Have I misunderstood, and the drainage points are actually beneath the little black button-tops that are visible when the boot lid is raised ?

My local BMW dealership has quoted me £162.00 incl VAT to clear them and reckons that it is a one-hour work.

Thank you in anticipation.

Ive only ever had an issue with my 650 soft top but that was in the soft top stow away area, not the car but that problem was due to blocked drainage points. There are 4 of them in there. I now blow them through on a regular basis with a weak warm bleach solution using a baster as it happens. So, whilst not exactly your case but was the drain points that were the issue.     

1 hour ago, jenksy0198 said:

Ive only ever had an issue with my 650 soft top but that was in the soft top stow away area, not the car but that problem was due to blocked drainage points. There are 4 of them in there. I now blow them through on a regular basis with a weak warm bleach solution using a baster as it happens. So, whilst not exactly your case but was the drain points that were the issue.     

Hi jenksy. I have it on reliable grounds indeed from the main dealer here in Southport that there are 8 drainage points as stated in the third sentence of my post !!

I have a print-out from the main dealer showing the location of the drains.

Perhaps I have misunderstood the diagram, albeit I have had the hood in the partial open/closed position several times and cannot see any drain points.

Drainage point locations for BMW 635 convertible..jpg

Morning Men

Looking at the diagram I would say hood up boot lid open and the are in the Hood starage area. Not much help I am afraid as I have never had to explore this issue I would be more concerned about where it is getting in than letting it out

I had a convertable in the 60's it leaked and was draughty a short ownership, same with Sunroofs when they became the big thing in the 70's. Only a few of my cars have had sunroofs since the 80's/90's and none of my X5's have had/hve holes in the roof. If I want the wind in my hair I stand on the Beach 🤣

Dave

Ok , I agree with the BMW drawing although yours and mine will be different, the locations look familiar. I don't know the Ci set up but I have never had any water getting into the actual car cockpit, only the soft top stow away area, served by the drains. This stow away area is not carpeted either.

Ill send some pics so you can see the differences and the drain points as best I can identify them.

It sounds like you have water getting into the main cockpit of the car, especially if you have to lift carpet as described in your missive. Never had that issue.     

4 hours ago, Greydog said:

Morning Men

Looking at the diagram I would say hood up boot lid open and the are in the Hood starage area. Not much help I am afraid as I have never had to explore this issue I would be more concerned about where it is getting in than letting it out

I had a convertable in the 60's it leaked and was draughty a short ownership, same with Sunroofs when they became the big thing in the 70's. Only a few of my cars have had sunroofs since the 80's/90's and none of my X5's have had/hve holes in the roof. If I want the wind in my hair I stand on the Beach 🤣

Dave

Hi Dave. To my mind, the issue of the water getting in is like looking for a needle in a haystack and must logically be linked to a drain or drains being blocked.

Hopefully the main dealer technician will locate an entry point or points and deal with it/them and clear the 8 drain points that are identified on the diagram.

1 hour ago, jenksy0198 said:

Ok , I agree with the BMW drawing although yours and mine will be different, the locations look familiar. I don't know the Ci set up but I have never had any water getting into the actual car cockpit, only the soft top stow away area, served by the drains. This stow away area is not carpeted either.

Ill send some pics so you can see the differences and the drain points as best I can identify them.

It sounds like you have water getting into the main cockpit of the car, especially if you have to lift carpet as described in your missive. Never had that issue.     

Hi Paul. Why should/would your 650i be different to my 635d if they are both convertibles and presumably the same body with the only difference being the engine size and type ?

Can I assume by your post that your car is actually a 650i convertible ?

I am intrigued and will look forward to you posting some images !!

Yes 650i convertible, my error by the way I though I read 325Ci. mine and yours should be near enough identical. Here are the images I mentioned.

pic 1 - back corner of the storage area - 1 each side

pic 2 - literally adjacent to the rear strut pillar 

Pic 3 - rear corner nearest to the rear of the vehicle right side

Pic 4 - as above left side

Pic 5 - same as pic 1 but other side - this location is tucked right back immediately under the folding brackets.

I am not aware of any other drains under that protective cover as that does not lift up. There have been times I have had several inches of water in there sloshing about but none has actually entered the passenger compartment. As I said I do look to blow through these drains on a regular basis.

Hope this helps.

I have had water getting into the boot area carpet, this rides under that black plastic cover you can see in pics 3/4. and drips into the boot. BTW Im in Formby and more than happy to meet and talk it through if that helps.

The whole system of the softtop seal onto the car body is not watertight hence the need for drains but these have to be kept clear otherwise water does build up and can get into the boot area as noted above.     

car drain 1.jpg

car drain 2.jpg

car drain 3.jpg

car drain 4.jpg

car drain 5.jpg

3 hours ago, jenksy0198 said:

Yes 650i convertible, my error by the way I though I read 325Ci. mine and yours should be near enough identical. Here are the images I mentioned.

pic 1 - back corner of the storage area - 1 each side

pic 2 - literally adjacent to the rear strut pillar 

Pic 3 - rear corner nearest to the rear of the vehicle right side

Pic 4 - as above left side

Pic 5 - same as pic 1 but other side - this location is tucked right back immediately under the folding brackets.

I am not aware of any other drains under that protective cover as that does not lift up. There have been times I have had several inches of water in there sloshing about but none has actually entered the passenger compartment. As I said I do look to blow through these drains on a regular basis.

Hope this helps.

I have had water getting into the boot area carpet, this rides under that black plastic cover you can see in pics 3/4. and drips into the boot. BTW Im in Formby and more than happy to meet and talk it through if that helps.

The whole system of the softtop seal onto the car body is not watertight hence the need for drains but these have to be kept clear otherwise water does build up and can get into the boot area as noted above.     

car drain 1.jpg

car drain 2.jpg

car drain 3.jpg

car drain 4.jpg

car drain 5.jpg

Hi Paul. I have sent you a message on the system messaging service.

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links