Throttle body replacement

X5smw

Hi all, can I get some advice please. 
how easy is it to replace the throttle body on the 3.0 petrol engine… I believe it’s the m42? 

any guides? Pelican or the internet shows me nothing and I have about an hour on Saturday to replace it with a set of tools and probably 2 young screaming kids around… no pressure as always! 

Morning Stu

She has it in for you 🤣

The job is really simple takes longer to uncover the throttle body than actually change it. 4 bolts hold it in place unplug it and don't drop the seal when you take it off. As an aside have you checked the Vac lines that connect to it's mount. If I remember take the covers off take the big elbow that goes to the Maff off 4 M6 bolts (I think) hold the Throttle body to the inlet manifold there is a seal between the manifold and the throttle body dont do my trick and drop it 🤣

Check realoem that may help

Enjoy your Saturday

Dave 

• Thanks 1

Did it take long to clean the ice cream off everything afterwards 🤣🤣

When mine were small they were out playing football or climbing trees 😅 Now they are allways using my tools and not cleaning them or putting them back !! (our youngest was 40 this year 😅) Ice cream doesn't cut it anymore now it's Beer 🤣 Guess nothing changes

Dave

8 hours ago, bimmeluke said:

Fingers crossed the little ones cooperate long enough for you to get the job done on Saturday, @X5smw. I used to bribe mine with ice cream for an hour's peace - worked like a charm!

I’ll lock mine in the conservatory and put frozen on…. Should keep them quiet for a little while! 

7 hours ago, Greydog said:

Did it take long to clean the ice cream off everything afterwards 🤣🤣

When mine were small they were out playing football or climbing trees 😅 Now they are allways using my tools and not cleaning them or putting them back !! (our youngest was 40 this year 😅) Ice cream doesn't cut it anymore now it's Beer 🤣 Guess nothing changes

Dave

I left mine to play in the caravan last week while I did the door lock…. They painted it with white emulsion. 😂

IMG_9595.jpeg

IMG_9601.jpeg

IMG_9602.jpeg

IMG_9597.jpeg

🤣🤣🤣🤣 Ice cream would be easier to clear up 🤣🤣 Got a fold up dog cage I could lend you as long as no one dobs us in to Child Welfare 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got round to doing the throttle body… 

took 2 hours and a bit of swearing. Kids stayed indoors this time as it was raining. 
managed to remove it by undoing the bolts and elbow hose, then pulling and swivelling it to the rear. Plugged the new (second hand ) one in and fired it up…. All warning lights still on,… plugged in 1.4.0 program and scanned for saved faults, cleared all faults and took it for a spin. I’m not sure if it has been down on power for a while but blimey, off like a rabid whippet! 
ill take it for a longer run tomorrow but staggering difference and idle is fine, revs are fine and no warnings .

as a bonus, I also managed to swap the faulty parking sensor so that works now…. That will confuse the wife! 😂🫡

What on Gods great earth did I unleash??? I thought the car was a bit lumpy, but blimey! It must have been choking itself silly… 

took the bm out with its new throttle body for a test run and it’s never moved so fast! It’s found about 100 horses under there! 
happy man about to lose his license! 😂😂😂

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links