Error Code: 420106 (Shift lock magnet: Selector lever defect

Hi,

I've had this error on my 2017 Mini Cooper F57 Convertible Auto for a while. Error Code: 420106 (Shift lock magnet: Selector lever defective not locked in P)

And yes I do understand that it is possible to replace the spring for a tiny cost. But the work involved is laborious and complicated for those of us not mechanically minded.

There is also the option of replacing the gear selector, but that is very expensive.

The error is more of an annoyance as the car is definitely locked into Park and will definitely not move, and definitely does not affect any safety.

So my question is this - It's an electronic module this spring connects to right?

Then surely, it can be coded out. Most things can be coded out these days - Perhaps with Bimmercode in Expert mode?

Are there any coding gurus out there that might know how to code the module out?

Capture.JPG

Hi Joe

Welcome to the Forum

I am not certain but as it is part of the cars Safety Interlock system I don't think it can be coded out 

Never seen the problem but from what I have read while it is a bit of a Faff it is a DIY proposition without needing to buy parts as the spring (clock spring type) can be unwound to get it working again 

Also from what I read BMW will want to replace the complete shift unit at around £1k minimum that alone makes it worth a go

Dave

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links