Hello From Kettering - Looking To Get A Cheap Bmw

namrood

Hi all

I'm new to the BMW areana.

I've only been driving for 4 1/2 years but in that time I have had:

Ford Focus 2.0ltr TDCi Titanium Estate (didn't do a HPI coz a Mate sold it to me turns out he owed finance on it and it got taken off me 3 years later) - 54 plate

french poo Clio RSI 1.8 (mark 1, phase 3) P reg

Astra 1.8Ltr Coupe 02 palte

and I am currently driving a Smart Roadster (stop laughing back there)

I now want a big(ish) card and I am looking at BMW and my price range is upto £700 - not good I know

I got the Roadster on finance and I can afford to return it to the finance company and pay to the 1/2 ways stage, hence why I have £700 (been saving my pennies) - I just want a cheap car to keep me going while I sort out my credit score and get rid of some debts...

I though I would try and save a BMW and slowly do it up (Just like Wheeler Dealers on Discovery Turbo) I would be able to replace parts every month or so from my pay but cannot afford a really expensive BMW.

I have seen 2 ads for BMW's but I intend to see more

1st up is:

BMW Black N (1996) 318ti Compact - no tax, mot ends this month, needs new backbox but from the pics looks like it is has been in the hands of a boy racer - The garage says it drive perfectly and the only problem is the backbox blows a bit. Bugger all history but it does have 2 keys...

2nd car up is:

Purply blue BMW 318 Compact

M Tech Sport

8 Months MOT

Taxed end Feb (this is not a problem)

1.9l petrol

Manual

Half leather interior

Alloy wheels (original from the looks)

Kenwood CD player and multi shuttle

(needs drivers side wishbone) <-------- This is the problem is this cheap to fix...?

Nice clean car

Loads of service history

Now I know I am in the price range of old bangers.

Should I go and see them and try them out or just walk away..

I have attached to pics of the cars in question

Thanks

Rick

post-2751-0-23645500-1326655661_thumb.jp

post-2751-0-44496300-1326655669_thumb.jp

Welcome to BMWOC

Stay away from the black one,it looks like a bucket !!

Purple one sounds/looks ok tho,and wishbones are a cheap enough fix,id advise doing both at the same time,then its done ;)

Shame you werent on here a few weeks ago,as I had a nice compact for sale !!

Welcome Rick, The first car has no MOT, I would be concerned as if the car had a years mot, they could have asked more for it, there is good cars out there, just had a look on Autotrader website, starting at £550 with under 73,000 miles and lots of service history, even if you are buying an older car, still good idea to have hpi check, not sure how much mechanical knowledge, sometimes it can be an idea and ask in local dealers if they have any part exchange cars.

Even buying a cheap Beemer, if the interior and engine bay looks in good condition, car will probably be ok, engines etc are reliable, you can find bargains, for lower price cars, private sales are better normally, don't forget you are the customer and you can walk and find another car somewhere else.

A few credit tips, could be to start saving with a credit union, they always give the lowest interest rates, will also get your credit rating up, another thing could be save up for your cars, then upgrade, takes a bit longer but saves you having a long term commitment to some hp company, good luck with finding your car. :D

Welcome along,

For £700 quid, look for a early 318iS coupe, fantastic little engine nice looking shape of car that you can do plenty to in the long run! So options on eBay now, including a convertible

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/bmw-318i-convertible-/280808500614?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item41617dad86

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-M3-LOOK-318-BARGAIN-SWAP-/220934582358?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3370ba3056

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1995-BMW-318-CONVERTIBLE-GREEN-/220933461961?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3370a917c9

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1994-BMW-318-S-COUPE-MAUVE-PURPLE-1-YEAR-MOT-6-MTHS-TAX-EXTRAS-/110810795474?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item19ccd68dd2

You get the idea!, lots of cars for 700 notes, as PI said avoid no mot or 12 months MOT cars(dodgy MOT are easy to get) I wouldn’t worry too much about service history or mileage personally, judge each car ,And use your gut feeling!!!

The £650 looks like a easy drivable project!!

welcome another option is to save up to £1000 pound as ur into another type of car all together ie:- not alot wrong and loads a history i got mine for £1150 full service history loads a bills and nothin wrong apart from a tiny little bit of rust on the wheel arch last 2 are what its sort of like now n i havent spent that much on it

post-2495-0-19006500-1326911542_thumb.jp

post-2495-0-57690700-1326911553_thumb.jp

post-2495-0-64904000-1326911591_thumb.jp

post-2495-0-13680000-1326911624_thumb.jp

i had the 316 compact.. which was when i fell in love with bmw... Its hard to explain why they are so good.. I would go for the second one because looks better out of the two and seems to be well looked after... I know its been said already but wish bones arnt that bad for the compacts. but make sure you change both at the same time..

They are a common fault on that shape but still last ages compared to some new cars nowadays..

You could how ever go straight in at the deep end and go for a 328 or something that will make ya giggle and a bit of wee come out when you rag it lol..

Ben

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links